GOL Airlines Brasil
Gol Linhas Aéreas Inteligentes S.A (“Gol Intelligent Airlines S.A.”) is a Brazilian airline based in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
According to the National Civil Aviation Agency of Brazil (ANAC), between January and December 2017 Gol had 36.2% of the domestic and 10.8% of the international market shares in terms of passengers per kilometer flown, making it the largest domestic and third largest international airline in Brazil. Gol competes in Brazil and other South American countries with Chilean LATAM Airlines Group, Brazilian Azul and Colombia-based Avianca Holdings S.A. It also owns the brand Varig, although now that name refers to what is informally known as the “new” Varig, founded in 2006, not to the extinct “old” Varig airline, founded in 1927.
• GOL kicks off its operations at 6:56 AM on January 15, when a Boeing 737-700 heading to the Congonhas Airport in São Paulo takes off from Brasília International Airport.
• GOL revolutionizes Brazilian commercial aviation by eliminating the traditional paper ticket and launching the reservation (locator) code. This makes traveling easier for passengers and helps ensure lower fares.
• On March 17, GOL begins operating the Rio de Janeiro – São Paulo air shuttle, known as Air Bridge, it is one of the most coveted routes in the country.
• GOL receives its first Next Generation Boeing 737-800, which offers high operating efficiency, safety and comfort and is well suited to long routes.
• In December, GOL launches its night flights, nicknamed “night owls”. Since their implementation, these flights been very successful, reaching an average occupancy rate of 90%.
• Launch of the web check-in service. This system allows passengers who are registered on GOL’s website and have only carry-on luggage to check in up to three hours before the flight.
• GOL launched its IPO on the São Paulo Stock Exchange (Bovespa) and the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), selling over 33,050,000 preferred shares and raising R$878,138,500.00.
• With the sale of R$ 1.6 billion in tickets through its web site, GOL consolidates its position as one of the largest e-commerce companies in Brazil.
• On September 16, GOL opens a new base of operations in Boa Vista, Roraima, becoming the first Brazilian airline to operate in all of Brazil’s state capitals.
• GOL acquires its first aircraft with winglets, the Next Generation Boeing 737-700, registered as PR-GOZ. The winglets technology provides better performance during takeoffs, allows for longer flights and improves fuel efficiency.
• With the acquisition of Varig on March 28, GOL becomes one of the largest airlines in Latin America, transporting over 20 million passengers a year.
• On July 1, GOL signs an agreement to sell Delta Air Lines tickets, allowing for faster connections between the two airlines.]
• GOL is the first Brazilian airline to offer a service that allows passengers to complete their check-in using only their mobile phone. The project was launched at Santos Dumont Airport in Rio de Janeiro.
• GOL installs self-service kiosks at Brazil’s major airports. Passengers that use these kiosks don’t have to go to the check-in counters and save time.
• GOL enters agreements with American Airlines and Air France/KLM to operate codeshare flights, which also offer mileage program benefits.
• GOL launches another technological innovation to make travelling even easier for its clients: the GOL iPhone App. With the new app, passengers traveling without baggage can check in on domestic flights and receive their boarding passes on their iPhone.
• GOL signs a codeshare agreement with Qatar Airways, the national airline of Qatar
• GOL and Air France-KLM announce a strategic partnership to expand the number of codeshare flights, providing more benefits to the passengers of both airlines.
• GOL launches another exclusive service in Brazil. With the Express Baggage service, passengers can use the self-service kiosks to check in, as well as weigh and tag their baggage.
• Pet owners may now travel with their pets in the airplane cabin, provided certain requirements are met. They must be transported in pet carriers and placed under the seat.
• With the goal of improving its services and offering the best flight experience to its passengers, GOL launched the Premium Class, which provides passengers with a range of exclusive benefits, from check-in to arrival. The new service is available on all international routes.
•GOL announced new direct flights to Miami and Orlando departing out of Brasilia and Fortaleza. The new routes began operating on November 4. The arrival of the modern 737 MAX airplanes equipped with the latest technology have made these new international flights possible, offering a better travel experience to customers.
In October 2019, GOL posted Revenue Passenger Kilometers (RPK) growth of 11.6%. It gained 36.7% of the domestic RPK, representing a 7.5% change compared to the same month of 2018. GOL also achieved an 11.6% share and a 30.5% increase in the RPK. .
GOL Linhas Aéreas Inteligentes recorded a record net revenue of R, 7 billion in the third quarter of 2019. The growth, compared to the same period last year, is 28%.
RPK increased by 12.8% to 11.1 billion in the same period, driven by the 13% increase in passenger volume: nearly 10 million customers in the quarter, resulting in a 38% domestic market share, according to data from the National Civil Aviation Agency (ANAC). In the corporate segment, according to data from the Brazilian Association of Corporate Travel Agencies (ABRACORP), 39% of passengers flew by GOL. There are more than 750 daily flights using a single Boeing 737 fleet. In 19 years, the company has carried 450 million passengers.
There are 76 destinations operated by the company itself (there were 67 at the beginning of the year). In total (counting reginal and international), they reach 300.
B737 MAX 8